UQ students among future agricultural leaders awarded industry scholarships

24 May 2018
Emma Moss

University of Queensland School of Agriculture and Food Sciences students Emma Moss and James Peacock are among 14 students awarded AgriFutures™ Horizon Scholarships for 2018.

In congratulating the winners, AgriFutures Australia Managing Director John Harvey said the scholarships, which attracted over 200 nominations, were judged on the applicants’ commitment to agriculture, leadership impact and potential, and career aspirations and were an initiative of AgriFutures Australia, in partnership with industry sponsors.

James Peacock

Meat and Livestock Australia is supporting Emma, a Bachelor of Sustainable Agriculture student, while James, a Bachelor of Agricultural Science student, is supported by Australian Eggs.

Emma’s passion for agriculture began on her family farm in Pittsworth, Queensland and her interest for livestock grew from working as a jillaroo on the half million-acre Nerima Station in the Kimberley, Western Australia, where she was mustering, processing cattle, fencing, doing yard work, and maintenance.

“I wanted to capture the beauty around me on the station, so I bought a second-hand camera from the station cook. In September 2016 I started an Instagram page – Life On A Station – which now has over 15k followers,” she said.

“My Instagram has led to an ABC Invisible Farmer blog, Rural Weekly and other newspaper articles, a Graziher magazine story and a Landline feature in early 2018.

“I wanted to use this platform to promote Australian agriculture which offers so many leadership and learning opportunities,” Emma said.

James is in his first year at The University of Queensland and aims to be a leader at the forefront of science in the egg or livestock industries.

“I’m excited to meet other students involved in the program, learn more about the challenges and trends across the agricultural sector and how I can make a positive impact on the future of Australian agriculture, and the egg industry,” said James.

As winners Emma and James will receive $5000 for two years of their degree to assist with university study and living expenses, plus access to professional development opportunities including workshops and work placements to kick start their agricultural careers.